U8. Micro – Nano Technology Unit
- Scientific Director: Prof. Jordi Aguiló email@example.com Dr. Rosa Villa firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scientific Coordinator: Dr. Gemma Gabriel email@example.com
- Entities: Instituto de Microelectrónica de Barcelona – Cenro Nacioal de Microelectrónica (IMB-CNM, CSIC)
- Address: Campus UAB, 08193, Cerdanyola del Vallés, Barcelona, Spain
- Phone: +34 935 947 700 ext. 1208
- Web: IMB – CNM, CSIC
This Micro-Nano Technologies Unit is located in the Microelectronic Institute of Barcelona, (IMB-CNM, CSIC) which is the largest installation with micro-nano technologies facilities in Spain. Its 1500 m2 Clean Room classes 10 to 10,000 are considered as Singular Scientific-Technical Infrastructure (ICTS). The platform is coordinated by Dr. Jordi Aguiló and this unit is based on a CVD (chemical vapor deposition) equipment for the controlled growth of carbon nanotubes (CNTs). The integration of the unit in the clean room facilities of the IMB-CNM enables a complete range of processes (thermal processes and CVD, metallization, photolithography, dry and wet etching) for the complete fabrication of MNBS devices. So, from the platform it is supported the whole MNBS fabrication steps: the customization of the technology needed, the design of the devices, the complete fabrication process, their encapsulation, the characterization and test up to the technological support on the experimental uses.
- U8-S01. Design, fabrication and encapsulation of microelectrodes (based on gold or platinum) on different rigid (Si, SiC or Pyrex) or flexible polymeric substrates (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U8-S02. Electrochemical and electrical characterization of the above mentioned microelectrodes (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U8-S03. Carbon Nanotubes growth services (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U8-S04. Graphene growth services (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
- U8-E01. Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) equipment for growth of CNTs and Graphene, Black Magic Pro 4-inch System ( AIXTRON Ltd)
Furthermore, in the IMB-CNM clean room (1500 m², Classes 10 to 10,000), there is also the following equipment, which is accessible under its own access policy:
- U8-E02. Thermal oxidation process equipment.
- U8-E03. Platinum and gold deposition equipment.
- U8-E04. Optical photolithography equipment.
- U8-E05. CVD nitride and oxide passivation equipment.
- U8-E06. Chemical banks for micro/nanotechnologies.
- U8-E07. RIE and DRIE equipment.
- U8-E08. Nanolithography equipment.
- U8-E09. Optical (SEM) and electrical (Impedance) characterization equipment.
- U8-E10. Encapsulation equipment.
|Title||Fundin: Organism||Call: Funding source||Role|
|GA: 696656||Graphene-based disruptive technologies — GrapheneCore1||Unión Europea (Comisión Europea)||H2020-Adhoc-2014-20||Partner|
|GA: 785219||Graphene Flagship Core Project-2 — GrapheneCore2’ ’||Unión Europea (Comisión Europea)||H202-SGA-FET-GRAPHENE-2017||Partner|
|GA: 649953||GRAPHENE FPA – FLAGSHIP - Graphene-based revolutions in ICT and beyond||Unión Europea (Comisión Europea)||H2020-FETFLAG-2014||Partner|
|SAF2017-90810-REDI||Strategic Promotion and coordinated management of Nanbiosis: Pronanbiosis II||Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI)||Acciones de dinamización «REDES DE EXCELENCIA» -ICTS 2017||Coordinator|
|Ref||Title||Funding Organism||Unit Role|
|SAF2014-62114-EXP||RUPTURE OF THE HEMATORRETINIAN BARRIER: CAUSE OR CONSEQUENCE OF THE DIABETIC RETINOPATHY?||MINECO||Others|
|BIO2014-61377-EXP||BIOLIVER: THE DECONSTRUCTION APPLIED TO HEPATOLOGY||MINECO||Others|
|H2020-Adhoc-2014-20 - 696656||GrapheneCore1||European Commission||Participant|
|FP7-ICT-2013-FET-F - 604391||Neurographene: Neurological Recordings with Graphene||EUROPEAN COMISSION||Others|
|IMI Grant agreement No 115902||Remote Assessment of Disease and Relapse in Central Nervous System Disorders (RADAR-CNS)||Others|
- Moya A., Sowade E., del Campo F.J., Mitra K.Y., Ramon E., Villa R. et al. All-inkjet-printed dissolved oxygen sensors on flexible plastic substrates. Organic Electronics: physics, materials, applications. 2016;39:168-176.
- Yeste J., Illa X., Gutierrez C., Sole M., Guimera A., Villa R.. Geometric correction factor for transepithelial electrical resistance measurements in transwell and microfluidic cell cultures. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. 2016;49(37):-.
- Hernando A., Lazaro J., Gil E., Arza A., Garzon J.M., Lopez-Anton R. et al. Inclusion of Respiratory Frequency Information in Heart Rate Variability Analysis for Stress Assessment. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2016;20(4):1016-1025.
Researchers of NANBIOSIS U7 Nanotechnology Unit are coauthors of the article “Involvement of Cellular Prion Protein in α-Synuclein Transport in Neurons” by Molecular Neurobiology The cellular prion protein, encoded by the gene Prnp, has been reported to be a receptor of β-amyloid. Their interaction is mandatory for neurotoxic effects of β-amyloid oligomers. In this study, we aimed to explore whether the cellular prion protein participates in the spreading of α-synuclein. Results demonstrate that Prnp expression is not mandatory for α-synuclein spreading. However, although the pathological spreading of α-synuclein can take place in the absence of Prnp, α-synuclein expanded faster in PrPC-overexpressing mice. In addition, α-synuclein[...]
Resemblance of the human liver sinusoid in a fluidic device with biomedical and pharmaceutical applications
Scientists of Unit 8 of NANBIOSIS are co-authors of the article “Resemblance of the human liver sinusoid in a fluidic device with biomedical and pharmaceutical applications“, recently published by Biotechnology and Bioengineering. The fabrication of Exoliver was performed by the platform of Production of Biomaterials and Biomolecules of the ICTS, more specifically by the “NANBIOSIS,” Unit 8. Maintenance of the complex phenotype of primary hepatocytes in vitro represents a limitation for developing liver support systems and reliable tools for biomedical research and drug screening. We herein aimed at developing a biosystem able to preserve human and rodent hepatocytes phenotype in vitro based on t[...]
Eli Prats and Eduard Masvidal researchers of NANBIOSIS Unit 8 Micro and Nanotechnology Unit have shown their last results in ECoG recordings and biosensing using graphene based devices at the 8th edition of Graphene Conference series, the largest European Event in Graphene and 2D Materials, which is taken place in Dresden (Germany) from the 26th until the 29th of June 2018. Eli Prats has spoken on Label-free Direct Detection of Thrombin through graphene SGFET with chemically modified aptamers and Eduard Masvidal has given a talk on Graphene transistors for ultra-slow frequency (< 0.1Hz) in vivo neural recordings showing graphene SGFETs as[...]
Scientists of NANBIOSIS Unit 8. Micro – Nano Technology Unit, led by Gemma Gabriel, Scientific Coordinator of the Unit, are the authors of the article “Online oxygen monitoring using integrated inkjetprinted sensors in a liver-on-a-chip system”, published by Lab on a chip. The demand for real-time monitoring of cell functions and cell conditions has dramatically increased with the emergence of organ-on-a-chip (OOC) systems. However, the incorporation of co-cultures and microfluidic channels in OOC systems increases their biological complexity and therefore makes the analysis and monitoring of analytical parameters inside the device more difficult. In this work, theauthors present an approac[...]
Why research in micro-electronics? Neural interfaces, interaction between the nervous and the artificial system
Dra. Rosa Villa, Scientific Director of NANBIOSIS U8. Micro – Nano Technology Unit, explained last June, 11 at the Residence of Researchers of Barcelona the great scientific challenges in finding tools that allow a good interaction between the nervous and the artificial system. This talk is part of the series of conferences organized by the CNM with the theme “Why research in micro-electronics?” Dr. Manuel Lozano, Director of the CNM, introduced the talk explaining that with microelectronic technology scientists can capture the signals that occur in the nerves and in the brain and presented Rosa Villa as a doctor with a PhD in[...]
In the framework of the FEDER Program in ICTS 2014-2020, several projects related to the ICTS NANBIOSIS have been selected by the MINECO for co-financing with FEDER funds of the European Regional Development Funds program. An agreement has been signed between MINECO and CIBER (partner of NANBIOSIS for the co-financing of the Project: “Purchase, installation and set-up of production and characterization equipment to complement the Units: U3-Synthesis of Peptides Unit, U18-Nanotoxicology and U20- In Vivo Experimental Platform”. The total budget of the project amounts to € 307,566.16, with 50% financing with FEDER Funds. Also CSIC (The State Agency Superior Council of[...]
On May 16, scientists from two units of NANBIOSIS filled the pubs, not to talk about football but about science. According to Jorge Bueno, Coordinator of Pint of Science in Spain, at the Vanguard “Science is also culture, just as we go to the bar to talk about football or politics, we can also talk about science, we want people to conceive science as part of society ” In the cafe of the civic center of the Casa Orlandai in Barcelona, Eli Prats, a researcher of NANBIOSIS U8. Micro – Nano Technology Unit, explains her group has developed graphene electrodes, a[...]
Nanotechnology, gene therapy, omics therapies and ‘big data’ were the topics discussed in the Forum on Emerging Technologies oganized on May 8 by nanotechnology, gene therapy, omics therapies and ‘big data’ were the topics discussed in the I Forum on Emerging Technologies held on May 8, organized by the CIBER Internationalization Platform, of which the CIBERER, the CIBER-BBN and the CIBERES. The objective of this event, structured in sessions of presentations and scientific debates about the types of technologies addressed, was to promote the exchange of ideas and scientific knowledge with the aim of generating new collaborations among the CIBER researc[...]