U6. Biomaterial Processing and Nanostructuring Unit
- Scientific Coordinator: Dr. Nathaly Segovia email@example.com
- Entities: Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona ICMAB-CSIC
- Address: Campus de UAB, 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
- Phone: +34 935 801 853
- Fax: +34 935 805 729
- Web: ICMAB
Located at the Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC), in Barcelona, and under the coordination of Professor Jaume Veciana and Prof. Nora Ventosa, current directors of NANOMOL Group, which is a research group with wide expertise and recognized excellence in the synthesis, processing and study of molecular and polymeric materials with chemical, electronic, magnetic and biomedical properties. It gathers several laboratories, perfectly equipped, to perform the mission of this facility: the development, characterization, and large-scale production of molecular biomaterials of therapeutic or biomedical interest, with controlled micro-, nano- and supramolecular structure.
One example of Key-Enabling-Technology (KET) available in this unit is a simple one-step methodology, DELOS-SUSP, based on the use of compressed fluids (CF), such as CO2, to prepare particulate materials with precise and reproducible structural characteristics at micro-, nano- and supramolecular levels (size, shape, internal structural gradients, supramolecular organization and crystalline purity). This example shows one of the singularities of this unit is that counts with CF–based plants at different scales, from mL to L, which allow process development by QbD and process scale-up.
- U6-S01. Use of High-pressure laboratory-scale plant with 50, 100 and 300 m reactors for the processing of biomaterials. Processing of cytotoxic compounds when required. (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S02. High-pressure phase analysis – solubility, emulsification (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S03. Thermal analysis of solid materials(Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S04. Analysis of particle size, concentration and Z-potential of nanoparticles (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S05. Analysis of particle morphology (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S06. Fluorescence spectroscopic analysis (On-site&Remote)
- U6-S07. UV-Vis spectroscopic analysis (On-site&Remote)
- U6-S08. Visual observation (On-site&Remote)
- U6-S09. Centrifugation (On-site)
- U6-S10. Treatment of sample by ultrasound probe (On-site)
- U6-S11. Specific density of powders (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S12. Packed (tapped) density(On-site) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S13. Detection of labeled nanoparticles and exosomes by fluorescence mode (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U6-S14. Quantitative studies of biomolecular interactions by calorimetric measurements (On-site) OUTSTANDING
FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
- U6-E01. High-pressure laboratory-scale plant with 50, 100 and 300 ml reactors for the processing of biomaterials.
- U6-E02. High-pressure phase analyzer for studying the thermodynamic behaviour of materials.
- U6-E03. Malvern Zetasizer Nano ZS particle size analyzer.
- U6-E04. Nanosight LM -20 for Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis.
- U6-E05. Nanosight NS-300 for Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis by fluorescence mode.
- U6-E06. Perkin-Elmer DSC 8500 differential scanning calorimeter.
- U6-E07. Olympus BX51 optical microscope with heating plate and fluorescence accessories.
- U6-E08. Perkin-Elmer LS 45 fluorescence spectrometer.
- U6-E09. Varian Cary 5 UV -Vis spectrometer.
- U6-E10. Quantachrome Ultrapyc 1200e helium pycnometer.
- U6-E11. Ultrasound probe and Autotap instrument for packed density measurements of powders.
- U6-E12. Malvern Morphologi G3 for advanced particle morphologi characterization.
- U6-E13. Microcalorimeter for measurements of biomolecular binding properties under Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC)
- U6-E14. Four Glove Dispensing isolator for expermiments with highly active and cytotoxic compounds
NANOMOL, the research group coordinating ICTS “NANBIOSIS” Unit 6, has been accredited with the TECNIO certification as a Technology Developer Organization, until 2019. This TECNIO certification was created by the Government of Catalonia, through ACCIÓ. This certification supports the most qualified agents involved in technology transfer processes, allows companies to access advanced R&D and develop new products and services, and increases the scope of technology projects by finding the most suitable technology partners & suppliers. About Nanomol (ICMAB-CSIC/CIBER-BBN) NANOMOL is a research group depending on the Institute of Material Science of Barcelona from CSIC, with wide expertise and recognized excellence in the synthesis, processing and study of[...]
Last 13 and 14 of November, CIBER-BBN has celebrated its 11th Annual Conference in Hotel Santemar in Santander. In this conference there was a poster session with the participation of the following Units of NANBIOSIS. Special mention deserves Unit 1 with Neus Ferrer as Director and Paolo Saccardo as Coordinator (in the picture): Posters: U1. Protein Production Platform (PPP): Engineering protein complexes as nano- or micro-structured vehicles or drugs for human and veterinary medicine. Ugutz Unzueta, Naroa Serna, Laura Sánchez-García, José Vicente Carratalá, Olivia Cano-Garrido, Mercedes Márquez, Paolo Saccardo, Rosa Mendoza, Raquel Díaz, Héctor, López-Laguna, Julieta Sánchez, Anna Obando, Amanda Muñoz, Andrés Cisneros, Eric Voltà, Aida Carreño, José[...]
NANOMOL (ICMAB-CSIC), a research group member of ICTS “NANBIOSIS”, more specifically of the Biomaterial Processing and Nanostructuring Unit (U6), announced today the launch of Nano4Derm, a research project in collaboration with Almirall, S.A and Leitat Technology Center, focused in nanomedicine applied to treat dermatological diseases. Within the framework of this research project, new innovative formulations containing nanoencapsulated active ingredients will be developed for the topical treatment of inflammatory skin conditions, such as Acne and Psoriasis. Nano4Derm involves the development and physico-chemical and biological characterisation of nanocapsules containing active ingredients, and the generation of scalable formulation prototypes for manufacturing nanoformulations suitab[...]
Researchers from Unit 6 of NANBIOSIS, -ICMAB (CSIC)/CIBER-BBN-, in collaboration with others from the Universities of Liège, Mons, Grenoble-Alpes, Parma, Augusburg, Girona and CNR-IOA (SISSA) have published in the journal Nature (G. D’Avino et al., Nature, 547, E9-E10, 2017) an article questioning the presence of ferroelectricity at room temperature in organic charge transfer crystals, generated by supramolecular techniques, previously published in the same journal (Tayi et al, Nature, 488, 485-489, 2012), by a team led by Profs. J. Fraser Stoddart (Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2016) and Samuel I. Stupp of the University of Northwestern. For more information: D’Avino et al,[...]
Unit 6 of NANBIOSIS-ICTS Biomaterials processing and Nanostructuring at ICMAB-CSIC received the visit of high school students
A group of 22 students from the high school La Serra (Mollerusa) visited the Biomaterials and Nanostructuring Unit of NANBIOSIS, at the Institute of Material Science of Barcelona of CSIC. The visit was an activity within the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology festival 10alamenos9 in which ICMAB participates. The students were guided through the labs by Amable Bernabé, technical responsible of U6, who explained them about nanotechnology, NANBIOSIS-ICTS research infrastructure and the different techniques available at “Biomaterials processing and Nanostructuring Unit”.[...]
Jaume Veciana, Scientific Director of NANBIOSIS-ICTS has participated in the research results published in the journal Chemical Communication, wich reports the synthesis and the study of a novel mixed biradical with BDPA and TEMPO radical units that are covalently bound by an ester group (BDPAesterTEMPO) as a polarizing agent for fast dissolution DNP. The biradical exhibits an extremely high DNP NMR enhancement of >50000 times, which constitutes one of the largest signal enhancements observed so far, to the best of our knowledge. Some of the researchs were made taking advantage of the characterization facilities provided by ICTS NANBIOSIS. For more information: L. F.[...]
NANOMOL group, coorditator of Unit 6 of NANBIOSIS has authored 26% of the scientific articles of ICMAB in NATURE
The Nature Index takes into account the published scientific articles from 1 February 2016 to 31 January 2017. This index is elaborated annually based on the affiliations of the authors of scientific articles published in a selection of 68 high-quality journals (http://www.natureindex.com/faq#journals) CSIC appears as the first Spanish research centre in this ranking and occupies position number 38 in the global ranking of 500 research centres worldwide, while ICMAB occupies the first position within the CSIC centre, taking into account the corrected index WFC that shares the work between the different co-authoring institutions and corrects for the overrepresentation of som[...]
NANBIOSIS Scientific Director Dr. Jaume Veciana received a Mention of Honor for his dedication to NANBIOSIS
On April 22, Dr. Jaume Veciana received a Mention of Honor from the current President of Extremadura, Guillermo Fernández Vara, during the celebration of the X Anniversary of the Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery “Jesus Usón” for his commitment, effort and dedication in the creation of the Singular Scientific Technological Infrastructures (ICTS) NANBIOSIS, in collaboration with the Center for Biomedical Research Center in Bioingeneering, Biomaterials and Nanomedicine (CIBER-BBN). Further information:[...]