U3. Synthesis of Peptides Unit
- Scientific Director: Prof. Fernando Albericio email@example.com
- Scientific Coordinator: Dr. Miriam Royo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entities: Parc Cientific de Barcelona (PCB) & Universidad de Barcelona (UB)
- Address: Baldiri Reixac 10, 08028, Barcelona, Spain
- Phone: +34 934 037 122
- Web:PCB – UB
This Unit is coordinated by the Peptides and Nanoparticles Group at the Parc Científic de Barcelona (PCB) and has the equipment necessary to provide services of synthesis of peptides at different scales (mg to g), purification, characterization, and post-synthesis modification, such as, conjugation to proteins and fluorescent. It counts with laboratories for synthesis and other to carry out modification of the peptides during and post synthesis labels. Also counts with a laboratory equipped with several preparative and analytical chromatography systems for purification and characterization. This facility benefits from the wide experience of Dr. Fernando Albericio in the design and synthesis of peptides with specific biological activity and the introduction of modifications necessary for these peptides to be bound to therapeutic nanoconjugates and other molecules, either to take advantage of the pharmacological activity of the peptide itself or to facilitate the introduction of nanoconjugates or other molecules into the cells in order to reach the therapeutic target. Its location allows the access to the rest of services of the PCB with an occupy area of 5.000m2.
- U3-S01. Synthesis of peptides and characterisation (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U3-S02. Modification of the peptides (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U3-S03. Special amino acids for peptide synthesis (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U3-S4. Peptide libraries (Remote) OUTSTANDING
FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
- U3-E01. Automatic synthesizer
- U3-E02. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) systems with a diode array detector
- U3-E03. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) system with dual-wavelength UV detector
- U3-E04. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC -MS) system with a diode array detector and coupled to a mass spectrometer.
- U3-E05. Bohdan miniblocks
- U3-E06. Lyophilizers and SpeedVac evaporators
- U3-E07. System for acidolactic cleavage (Boc/Bzl strategy), UNIQUE IN SPAIN
In addition, this unit has access to:
- U3-E08. Amino acid analyzer and MALDI -TOF for characterization.
- U3-E09. Microwave peptide synthesizer.
Researchers of NANBIOSIS U3 find activators of a possible therapeutic target for the treatment of patients with diabetes and insulin resistance
Researchers of NANBIOSIS U3: Synthesis of Peptides Unit participate in the identification of activators of of the mitochondrial protein Mitofusin 2, a possible therapeutic target for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes in collaboration with CIBER of Diabetes and Associated Metabolic Diseases (CIBERDEM) and the CIBER of Bioengineering, Biomaterials and Nanomedicine (CIBER-BBN). Those researchers are led by Fernando Albericio (Scientific Director of Unit 3 of NANBIOSIS) at the University of Barcelona and Antonio Zorzano en el IRB Barcelona have identified activators of the mitochondrial protein Mitofusin 2 for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. This protein is expressed[...]
Last 13 and 14 of November, CIBER-BBN has celebrated its 11th Annual Conference in Hotel Santemar in Santander. In this conference there was a poster session with the participation of the following Units of NANBIOSIS. Special mention deserves Unit 1 with Neus Ferrer as Director and Paolo Saccardo as Coordinator (in the picture): Posters: U1. Protein Production Platform (PPP): Engineering protein complexes as nano- or micro-structured vehicles or drugs for human and veterinary medicine. Ugutz Unzueta, Naroa Serna, Laura Sánchez-García, José Vicente Carratalá, Olivia Cano-Garrido, Mercedes Márquez, Paolo Saccardo, Rosa Mendoza, Raquel Díaz, Héctor, López-Laguna, Julieta Sánchez, Anna Obando, Amanda Muñoz, Andrés Cisneros, Eric Voltà, Aida Carreño, José[...]
“a-Galactosidase A Loaded Nanoliposomes with Enhanced Enzymatic Activity and Intracellular Penetration”
Unit 1 of NANBIOSIS, Protein Production Platform (PPP), Unit 3, Synthesis of Peptides, Unit 20, In Vivo Experimental Platform and Unit 6, Biomaterial Processing and Nanostructuring Unit, have jointly developed the research conducted in relation with a CO2-based methodology for the one-step production of protein-nanoliposome conjugates as bio-active nanomaterials with therapeutic interest. The results have been published in Advanced Healthcare Materials: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26890358 “a-Galactosidase A Loaded Nanoliposomes with Enhanced Enzymatic Activity and Intracellular Penetration I. Cabrera, I. Abasolo, J. L. Corchero, E. Elizondo, P. Rivera, E. Moreno, J. Faraudo, S. Sala, D. Bueno, E. González-Mira, M. Rivas, M. Melgarejo, D. Pulido,[...]