U1. Protein Production Platform (PPP)
- Strategy Director: Prof. Antonio Villaverde firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scientific Director: Dr. Neus Ferrer Miralles email@example.com
- Technical Coordinator: Dr. Paolo Saccardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- General email: email@example.com
- Entities: Institute of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (IBB) & Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB)
- Address: Campus Bellaterra, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
- Phone: +34 935 812 864
- Web: UAB – IBB
The PPP Unit is at the Institute of Biotechnology and biomedicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (IBB-UAB) and counts with the necessary facilities for the design, production and purification of recombinant proteins. This facility is coordinated by the Nanobiotechnology Group, leaded by Prof. Antonio Villaverde. It has both highly specialized personnel and the necessary equipment to offer an “tailored” service for the design, production and purification of recombinant proteins using both prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression systems. Its location allows this service to be linked with other complementary services available within the university (Cell Culture, Cytometry, Production of Antibodies, Microscopy, Proteomic, and Bioinformatic,X-ray crystallography, and the Microarray and Sequencing Services), as well as facilitating the management of subsequent uses of the produced protein.
Counts with a laboratory perfectly equipped for the bioproduction of proteins, other with all the necessary equipment for the molecular cloning, plus one lab for the purification and characterization, and finally one for cryopreservation.
The PPP Unit is also applying for the ISO9001 certification forstandard quality control system.
- U1-S01. Molecular cloning (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U1-S02. Bioproduction of proteins (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U1-S03. Proteins purification (On-site&Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U1-S04: Consultancy in protein production (On-site&Remote)
- U1-S05: Training courses in protein production (On-site&Remote)
- U1-S06: Criopreservation (On-site&Remote)
FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
|Title||Fundin: Organism||Call: Funding source||Role|
|GA: 720942||SMART FUNCTIONAL GLA-NANOFORMULATION FOR FABRY DISEASE – Smart-4-Fabry||Unión Europea (Comisión Europea)||H2020-NMBP-2016-2017||Coordinator|
|SAF2017-90810-REDI||Strategic Promotion and coordinated management of Nanbiosis: Pronanbiosis II||Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI)||Acciones de dinamización «REDES DE EXCELENCIA» -ICTS 2017||Coordinator|
|Ref||Title||Funding Organism||Unit Role|
|PI15/00272||Design of intelligent nanoconjugates for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.||Instituto de Salud Carlos III||Participant|
|BIO2013-41019-P||ENGINEERING OF PROTEIN NANOPARTICLES FOR THE DIRECT DELIVERY OF THERAPEUTIC PROTEINS AND NUCLEIC ACIDS||MINECO||Participant|
|2014SGR-132||Basic and Applied Microbiology||AGAUR||Participant|
|BIO2016-76063-R||DEVELOPMENT OF NONOSTRUCTURED PROTEIN TOXINS AND POISONS FOR THE TREATMENT OF CXCR4 + CANCERES||MINECO||Working package|
|RTC-2014-2207-1||TERARMET: Development of therapies for the treatment of rare congenital metabolic diseases||MINECO||Participant|
|Marato 416/C/2030TV32013-132031||Genotoxic nanoparticles targeting colorectal cancer stem cells||Marato TV3||Participant|
- Corchero J.L.. Eukaryotic aggresomes: from a model of conformational diseases to an emerging type of immobilized biocatalyzers. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2016;100(2):559-569.
- Saccardo P., Corchero J.L., Ferrer-Miralles N.. Tools to cope with difficult-to-express proteins. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2016;:1-9.
- Torrealba D., Seras-Franzoso J., Mamat U., Wilke K., Villaverde A., Roher N. et al. Complex particulate biomaterials as immunostimulant-delivery platforms. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(10)
- Cano-Garrido O., Sanchez-Chardi A., Pares S., Giro I., Tatkiewicz W.I., Ferrer-Miralles N. et al. Functional protein-based nanomaterial produced in microorganisms recognized as safe: A new platform for biotechnology. Acta Biomaterialia. 2016;43:230-239.
- Serna N., Cespedes M.V., Saccardo P., Xu Z., Unzueta U., Alamo P. et al. Rational engineering of single-chain polypeptides into protein-only, BBB-targeted nanoparticles. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 2016;12(5):1241-1251.
- Rueda F., Gasser B., Sanchez-Chardi A., Roldan M., Villegas S., Puxbaum V. et al. Functional inclusion bodies produced in the yeast Pichia pastoris. Microbial Cell Factories. 2016;15(1)
- Cabrera I., Abasolo I., Corchero J.L., Elizondo E., Gil P.R., Moreno E. et al. α-Galactosidase-A Loaded-Nanoliposomes with Enhanced Enzymatic Activity and Intracellular Penetration. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2016;5(7):829-840.
- Céspedes MV, Unzueta U, Álamo P, Gallardo A, Sala R, Casanova I et al. Cancer-specific uptake of a liganded protein nanocarrier targeting aggressive CXCR4+ colorectal cancer models.Nanomedicine : nanotechnology, biology, and medicine. 2016;12(7)
- Giannotti M.I., Abasolo I., Oliva M., Andrade F., Garcia-Aranda N., Melgarejo M. et al. Highly Versatile Polyelectrolyte Complexes for Improving the Enzyme Replacement Therapy of Lysosomal Storage Disorders. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 2016;8(39):25741-25752.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), known as Shanghai Ranking, which was made public on August 15, places the Autonomous University of Barcelona among the elite of the 300 best universities in the world. This indicator organizes up to 20,000 university centers worldwide, based on transparent methodology and objective third-party data. ARWU is regarded as one of the three most influential and widely observed university rankings The Autonomous University of Barcelona houses two of NANBIOSIS Units: U1 Protein Production Platform (PPP), led by Toni Villaverde, Neus Ferrer and Paolo Saccardo, offer an “tailored” service for the design, production and purification[...]
The creation of a nanodrug capable of blocking the spread of the disease, which is known as metastasis, has been highlighted by Guia Medica, as a heavy blow struck against to colon cancer, the malignant tumor with the highest incidence in our country, a process that affects 40% of the million cases of this type of cancer that are diagnosed every year in the world, and that represents the main cause of death. The research, jointly carried out by scientists from the IIB Sant Pau, Sant Pau Hospital, the UAB, CSIC and CIBER-BBN, led by Esther Vázquez and Antonio Villaverde, Strategy[...]
Today February 11 is the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, a day to raise awareness of the gender gap in science and technology. According to the United Nations, while yet women and girls continue to be excluded from participating fully in science, science and gender equality are vital to achieve the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Thus, in recent years, the international community has made a great effort to inspire and promote the participation of women and girls in science. NANBIOSIS wants to acknowledge the efforts made by scientific women who struggle every day to contribut[...]
The World Health Organization, the International Cancer Research Center (IARC) and the International Union Against Cancer (UICC) celebrate February 4 of each year as World Cancer Day Every year, 14 million new cases of cancer are diagnosed worldwide and the disease causes 8.2 million deaths. Thanks to scientific research, great advances have been made in the fight against cancer. Through surgery, chemotherapy or radio therapy and, in the last 20 years, through immunotherapy, hormonal treatment or cell therapies, tools have been obtained to improve early diagnosis and treatments, increasing cancer survival by 20%. The only way to understand cancer and,[...]
Last 12 and 13 of November, CIBER-BBN has celebrated its 12th Annual Conference in Hotel Felipe IV in Valladolid. In poster session participated NANBIOSIS itself and some of its units. NANBIOSIS, Infrastructure for the Production & Characterization of Biomaterials, Nanomaterials and medical devices up to preclinical validation. Nanbiosis management team. Divalent cation effects on assembly of histidine-rich protein nanoparticles. López-Laguna, U. Unzueta, O. Conchillo-Solé, A. Sánchez-Chardi, M. Pesarrodona, O. Cano-Garrido, E. Voltà, L. Sánchez-García, N. Serna, P. Saccardo, R. Mangues, A. Villaverde, E. Vázquez (NBT-UAB) (U1 -U18) Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) anchored on the surface of contact lenses to prevent corneal infections. Emiliano Salvagni, Clara García,[...]
A new pathway for the prevention of metastasis in colorectal cancer in humans is open: a nanomedicine that selectively eliminates metastatic stem cells
Researchers of NANBIOSIS U18 Nanotoxicology Unit and U1. Protein Production Platform (PPP) at the Biomedical Research Institute of Sant Pau (IIB Sant Pau), of the Hospital of Santa Creu i Sant Pau, of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), the Superior Council of Scientific Research (CSIC) and the Center for Biomedical Research in Network (CIBER) have published an article in one of the most prestigious international scientific journals in the field of Molecular Medicine, EMBO Molecular Medicine. This article demonstrates the efficacy of the nanopharmaceutical that selectively removes metastatic stem cells in animal models of colon cancer. The new drug works like a[...]
On October 24th-26th, Aula Científica, in collaboration with IBB, organizes a theorical and practical course on “Recombinant proteins production: optimization strategies“. Some researchers of NANBIOSIS Unit1 Protein Production Platform (PPP), will transmit their knowhow and experience to the attendees, as José Luis Corchero, Rosa Mendoza Moreno and Neus Ferrer Miralles, Scientific Director of the Protein production planform of ICTS NANBIOSIS. The course is aimed at researchers and laboratory technicians from universities, hospitals, companies and research centers who are interested in the expression, production and purification of recombinant proteins with de objectives of analyze and design strategies for the improvement in the expression,[...]
Researchers of NANBIOSIS U1. Protein Production Platform (PPP), organize a course on production of recombinant proteins together with Aula Científica whose objective is to analyze and design strategies for the improvement in the expression, production and purification of recombinant proteins in heterologous systems. For further information[...]