U13. Tissue & Scaffold Characterization Unit
- Scientific Director: Prof. Miguel Angel Martínez email@example.com
- Scientific Coordinator: Fany Peña firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entities: Universidad de Zaragoza. Departamento de Ingeniería Mecánica.
- Address: Campus Río Ebro. Edificio I D I. C/ María de Luna, S/N, 50018 Zaragoza, Spain
- Phone: 34 976 761 000 ext 5233 / 34 976 761 912
- Web: I3A-UZ
This platform is coordinated by Dr. E. Peña member of the Applied Mechanics and Bioengineering Group of the Aragón Institute of Engineering Research (I3A) at the University of Zaragoza. The objective of this unit is to provide services for structural and physical characterization of biological tissues and tissue scaffolding, including microstructure, histology and mechanical tests among others. This platform, unique in Spain as regarding its capability, has a clear and direct translational impact, especially in regenerative medicine, implant design and evaluation, as well as in the study of the mechanical behavior of living tissues (especially in the musculoskeletal and cardiovascular systems). Its relationship with the Instituto Aragonés de Ciencias de la Salud (Health Sciences Institute of Aragon), and through it with the Tissue and Blood Bank of Aragon and with the School of Veterinary Science at the Universidad de Zaragoza, allows an easy provision of tissues both from animals (mice, rabbit, sheep, pig) and humans, following in their handling the recommendations of the different ethics committees.
It has several types of INSTRON testing machines specializedin biological tissues, for the characterizationof soft tissues and fibers, as well as an X-ray microCT which allows quantitatively characterizing the microstructure of in vitro samples of hard tissues and of biomaterials for scaffolds. It also has the entire system necessary for performing high-quality histologies which would complete the structural characterization of the previously cited types of tissues (staining of preparations, immunohistochemistry in paraffin with EnVision, laser microdissection, etc.). As additional tests, equipment for determining the permeability of biological tissues and scaffolds under culture conditions, monitoring their variation over time is also available. Finally, the platform is also composed of different types of bioreactors, including perfusion or direct compression on seeded scaffolds for stimulating cell cultures for tissue engineering applications.
- U13-S01. MicrtoCT (OUT OF ORDER ) (Remote) OUTSTANDING – Temporarily OUT OF ORDER
- U13-S03. FATIGUE TESTS INSTRON 8874 (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U13-S04. DYNAMIC MECHANICAL ANALYSIS INSTRON 8874 (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U13-S05. UNIAXIAL TENSILE TEST INSTRON MicroTester (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U13-S07. UNIAXIAL TENSILE NANO BIONIX MTS (Onsite) OUTSTANDING
- U13-S08. ATOMIC FORCE MICROSCOPY IDENTATION TEST (On-site) OUTSTANDING
FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
|Title||Fundin: Organism||Call: Funding source||Role|
|SAF2017-90810-REDI||Strategic Promotion and coordinated management of Nanbiosis: Pronanbiosis II||Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI)||Acciones de dinamización «REDES DE EXCELENCIA» -ICTS 2017||Coordinator|
|Ref||Title||Funding Organism||Unit Role|
|DPI2014-54981-R||CORNEAL TISSUE RESPONSE TO CROSS-LINKING TREATMENT. APPLICATION TO THE TREATMENT OF KERATOCONO||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMÍA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Participant|
|DPI2013-44391-PReferencia||DESIGN AND IMPROVEMENT OF DRUG-CAUSED INTRAVASCULAR DEVICES THROUGH A COMPUTATIONAL TOOL. APPLICATION TO THE DESIGN OF STENT AND BALLS IN STENOTIC INJURIES||MINECO. MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Participant|
|DPI2013-44987-R||SMART_FOOT: SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR PREOPERATIVE PLANNING OF FOOT SURGERY AND INTELLIGENT DESIGN OF PERSONALIZED PLANTING PROSTHESES.||MINECO. MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Participant|
|DPI2016-76630-C2-1-R||IN SILICON-IN VITRO ANALYSIS TOOL OF THE APPEARANCE PROCESS AND GROWTH OF ATEROMA PLATE||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA, INDUSTRIA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Others|
- Chaure J., Serrano C., Fernandez-Parra R., Pena E., Lostale F., Gregorio M.A.D. et al. On Studying the Interaction Between Different Stent Models and Rabbit Tracheal Tissue: Numerical, Endoscopic and Histological Comparison. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016;:1-14.
- Cilla M., Perez M.M., Pena E., Martinez M.A.. Effect of Diet and Age on Arterial Stiffening Due to Atherosclerosis in ApoE−/− Mice. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016;44(7):2202-2217.
- Grasa J., Sierra M., Lauzeral N., Munoz M.J., Miana-Mena F.J., Calvo B.. Active behavior of abdominal wall muscles: Experimental results and numerical model formulation. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2016;61:444-454.
- Ruiz-Alejos D., Pena J.A., Perez M.M., Pena E.. Experiments and Constitutive Model for Deep and Superficial Fascia. Digital Image Correlation and Finite Element Validation. Strain. 2016;52(5):436-445.
- Calvo B., Pascual G., Pena E., Perez-Kholer B., Rodriguez M., Bellon J.M.. Biomechanical and morphological study of a new elastic mesh (Ciberlastic) to repair abdominal wall defects. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2016;59:366-378.
- Cordero A., Hernandez-Gascon B., Pascual G., Bellon J.M., Calvo B., Pena E.. Biaxial Mechanical Evaluation of Absorbable and Nonabsorbable Synthetic Surgical Meshes Used for Hernia Repair: Physiological Loads Modify Anisotropy Response. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016;:1-8.
The IV course on Tumor Immunology and Cancer Immunotherapy will start on 6th Feb, 2020. On April 2 at 7:00 pm Iñaki Ochoa will teach about “Basic research in cancer immunotherapy. Use of microfluidics in the study of cancer immunotherapy“. Ignacio Ochoa is a Professor of the Department of Human Anatomy and Histology of the University of Zaragoza and researcher of the AMB – Applied Mechanics and Bioengineering group and NANBIOSIS U13 Tissue & Scaffold Characterization Unit from CIBER-BBN and I3A-Zaragoza University Classes will be held on Thursday, from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., in the CIBA Lorente de Nó[...]
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), known as Shanghai Ranking, which was made public on August 15, once again places the University of Zaragoza among the elite of the 500 best universities in the world. This indicator organizes up to 20,000 university centers worldwide. Among the keys that have been able to positively influence the results of the research, according to the Vice Chancellor for Prospect, Sustainability and Infrastructure of the University of Zaragoza, Francisco Serón, are the increase in public campus funding for four years as well as the quality of their Scientists. The University of Zaragoza houses[...]
Next Thurstday, June 6th, the “Aragón Engineering Research Institute” (I3A) of University of Zaragoza will hold the “VIII Conference of Young Researchers” at the Conference Room Building. R & D (block 1, 1st floor) Researchers of NANBIOSIS unit U13 Tissue & Scaffold Characterization Unit will present their works In the oral presentations section, Mohamed H. Doweidar will talk about Cell behavior under hypoxic conditions. Computational 3D model. In the posters section in the area of BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING the researchers of unit 13 will present the following results. Design of a microfluidics system for the simulation of the formation of atheromatous[...]
An Eskimo in the desert is the title of the talk that Ignacio Ochoa Researcher of NANBIOSIS U13 Tissue & Scaffold Characterization Unit is giving today at the Pint of Science Festival in Zaragoza at 19:00. One of the greatest advances in biomedicine was to achieve, at the end of the 19th century, maintain human cells outside the body in order to study them. This breakthrough has allowed us, for example, to discover new drugs and evaluate the toxicity of many compounds. Unfortunately, this progress has hardly evolved over these 125 years. However, the arrival of microfluidic technology has allowed[...]
Next May 10, a conference on “Polymers and medical applications” will be held in Vizcaya, with the participation of NANBIOSIS Deputy Director, and JUMISC Scientific Director Dr. Francisco Miguel Sánchez Margallo, as guest speaker, who will give the lecture “Preclinical Research: Success Cases“ The event will count also with the expertise of Dr. Miguel Angel Martínez, Scientific Director of NANBIOSIS U13 Tissue & Scaffold Characterization Unit, talking about “Modeling and simulation in biomedical applications” Other topics that will be discussed at the Conference will be Hydrogels, Nanogels and Nanoparticles for Controlled Release of Bioactive Substances, The Microfluidics as a Tool for the Development of “Organ-on-a-chip and t[...]
Today February 11 is the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, a day to raise awareness of the gender gap in science and technology. According to the United Nations, while yet women and girls continue to be excluded from participating fully in science, science and gender equality are vital to achieve the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Thus, in recent years, the international community has made a great effort to inspire and promote the participation of women and girls in science. NANBIOSIS wants to acknowledge the efforts made by scientific women who struggle every day to contribut[...]
NANBIOSIS researcher Iñaki Ochoa, interviewed in the Heraldo de Aragón criticizes the administrative obstacles to science imposed by law.
Scientists of NANBIOSIS in the University of Zaragoza participated in the assembly held las week that put on the table the risks of applying rules in an incoherent way and without taking into account the reality of the work that researchers develop. The Spanish public contrat law prevents the University to spend more than 15,000 euros per provider per year, which complicates the purchases of material. The scientists ask that this legislation not be applied More than three hundred researchers have signed a manifesto in which they denounce that some provisions of the new Spanish law on public contracts prevent them[...]
The Spanish Society of Numerical Methods in Engineering (SEMNI) has awarded the SEMNI O. C. Zienkiewicz prize to Professor Dr. Manuel Doblaré. The SEMNI O. C. Zienkiewicz Award is the highest award given by this company and recognizes, in this case, both the undisputed scientific curriculum of prof. Doblaré as his permanent contribution to the good functioning of this society, of which he has been a founding member and member of its executive committee until 2007, having also organized the Congress of Numerical Methods in Zaragoza in 1996. The prize will be given during the Congress of Numerical Methods to[...]