U16. Surface Characterization and Calorimetry Unit
- Scientific Director: Prof. M Luisa González Martín firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scientific Coordinator: Prof. M Luisa González Martín email@example.com
- Entities: Universidad de Extremadura
- Address: Avda Elvas, S/N, 06006, Badajoz, Spain
- Phone: +34 924 289 532
- Web: WEB
The purpose of this Unit is to give support for the analysis of surface composition to researchers. This facility allows a broad knowledge about the chemistry of surfaces by the combination of the information of elements presents and their coordination state, given by the XPS technique, and the molecular structure of surface provided by the ToF-SIMs equipment. Its capabilities permit to work with extended and powdered solids, including those from biological origin as cells and bacteria. The characteristics of thin films on surfaces, as thickness, composition or electrical conductivity, can be also analyzed in this unit by spectroscopic ellipsometry. In addition, calorimetric analysis can be performed to test surface reactivity on powdered solids. ITC calorimetry facility is also under the Unit scheme.
Surface analysis laboratory fulfils the ISO9001:2008 (ES050823-1).
- FOR THOSE SERVICES IDENTIFIED AS OUTSTANDING, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR CAPACITY IS OPEN UNDER COMPETITIVE ACCESS. SEE ANNEX 1 OF ACCESS PROTOCOL FOR DETAILS ON % OF OPENNESS FOR EACH SERVICE
- U16-E01. TAM III isothermal nanocalorimeter system. (TA Instruments) – Temporarily OUT OF ORDER
- U16-E02. UVISEL ellipsometer (Horiba JovinYvon)
- U16-E03. K-Alpha X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) system (Thermo)
- U16-E04. ToF-SIMS 5 Time-of-flight secondary-ion mass spectrometry system (ION TOF )
- U16-E05. DROP SHAPE ANALYZER – DSA100E – Goniomete- (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U16-E06. 3D Optical Surface Metrology System Leica DCM8 – Optical profilometer- (Remote) OUTSTANDING
- U16-E07. Equipment for microbiology tests on materials. OUTSTANDING
|Ref||Title||Funding Organism||Unit Role|
|MAT2015-63974-C4-3-R||SUPERFICIAL CHARACTERIZATION AND MICROBIAL ADHESION OF BIODEGRADABLE AND BIOREABSORBIBLE MATERIALS MAGNESIUM BASE FOR BONE REPAIR||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMÍA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Working package|
|MAT2015-63974-C4-4-R||FORMATION OF MICROBIAL BIOFILMS ON BIODEGRADABLE AND BIOREABSORBABLE MG MATERIALS FOR BONE REPAIR AND BIOCOMPATIBILITY OF THESE IN EXPERIMENTATION ANIMALS||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMÍA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Participant|
|MAT2014-52905-REDT||RESEARCH NETWORK FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF FUNCTIONALIZED TITANIUM IMPLANTS||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMÍA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Oberver|
|PCIN-2016-146||SIGNAL IMPLANT FOR ACCESSION AND BONE GROWTH||MINISTERIO DE ECONOMÍA Y COMPETITIVIDAD||Oberver|
- Monje A., Gonzalez-Garcia R., Fernandez-Calderon M.C., Hierro-Oliva M., Gonzalez-Martin M.L., Del Amo F.S.-L. et al. Surface topographical changes of a failing acid-etched long-term in function retrieved dental implant. Journal of Oral Implantology. 2016;42(1):12-16.
- Constantino J.A., Delgado-Rastrollo M., Pacha-Olivenza M.A., Gonzalez-Martin M.L., Quiles M., Perez-Giraldo C. et al. In vivo bactericidal efficacy of the Ti6Al4V surface after ultraviolet C treatment. Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2016;:1-9.
- Rodriguez-Sanchez J., Gallardo-Moreno A.M., Bruque J.M., Gonzalez-Martin M.L.. Adsorption of human fibrinogen and albumin onto hydrophobic and hydrophilic Ti6Al4V powder. Applied Surface Science. 2016;376:269-275.
- Constantino J.A., Delgado-Rastrollo M., Pacha-Olivenza M.A., Perez-Giraldo C., Quiles M., Gonzalez-Martin M.L. et al. In vivo bactericidal efficacy of farnesol on Ti6Al4V implants. Revista Espanola de Cirugia Ortopedica y Traumatologia. 2016;:-.
- Crespo L., Hierro-Oliva M., Barriuso S., Vadillo-Rodriguez V., Montealegre M.A., Saldana L. et al. On the interactions of human bone cells with Ti6Al4V thermally oxidized by means of laser shock processing. Biomedical Materials (Bristol). 2016;11(1):-.
- Pena-Gonzalez C.E., Garcia-Broncano P., Ottaviani M.F., Cangiotti M., Fattori A., Hierro-Oliva M. et al. Dendronized Anionic Gold Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization, and Antiviral Activity. Chemistry – A European Journal. 2016;22(9):2987-2999.
- Cordoba A., Hierro-Oliva M., Pacha-Olivenza M.A., Fernandez-Calderon M.C., Perello J., Isern B. et al. Direct Covalent Grafting of Phytate to Titanium Surfaces through Ti-O-P Bonding Shows Bone Stimulating Surface Properties and Decreased Bacterial Adhesion. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 2016;8(18):11326-11335.
On May 16 representatives of the General Subdirectorate of Large Scientific-Technical Facilities of the Ministry of Science and Innovation visited unit 16 of NANBIOSIS (created by Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red -CIBER-, and the University of Extermadura). Mrs. Beatriz Albella Rodríguez and Mrs. María Jesús Marcos Crespo, got to know first-hand the facilities of unit 16 of the CTS NANBIOSIS of “Surface Characterization and Calorimetry“ . The visit was guided by the Scientific Director of Unit 16 of NANBIOSIS, Maria Luisa González Martín, and by Mr. Javier de Francisco Morcillo, Director of the Secretariat for Scientific Infrastructure and Technologica[...]
The website for NABIHEAL, an EU-funded Horizon Europe project developing biomaterials for complex wound healing, is now online. The Horizon Europe project NABIHEALi project is coordinated by the Center for Biomedical Research Network (CIBER) at the Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC). This project will apply one the “Cutting Edge Biomedical Solutions” of NANBIOSIS for the preparation of different nanoestructures with antimicrobial properties, required for the development of the final multifunctional wound healing biomaterials. This case will gather the expertise of two NANBIOSIS unit: NANBIOSIS U6 will produce and characterize these nanoestructures with antimicrobial properties, which will be tested in NANBIOSIS U16. Find out mor[...]
NANBIOSIS unit 16 Surface Characterization and Calorimetry Unit form CIBER-BBN and University of Extremadura has recently incorporated new equipment acquired through the execution of the project FICTS1420-14-09, cofinanced with FEDER funds, the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness and Junta de Extremadura, Regional Ministry of Economy, Science and Digital Agency. A new FlexPS-ARPES-E kit, manufactured by SPECS, is now available for use by researchers This new resource uses the technique of photoelectron spectroscopy generated by X-rays to analyze the chemical composition of a surface. The electrons given off by the irradiated surface generate a fingerprint of the molecules that make up that surface, yielding information[...]
The Horizon Europe project NABIHEAL, coordinated by the Center for Biomedical Research Network (CIBER) at the Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC), was launched on 11-12 January 2023 in Barcelona with the first meeting of the international consortium, formed by 14 partners from 7 countries, including research centers, universities, and private companies. This project will apply one the “Cutting Edge Biomedical Solutions” of NANBIOSIS for the preparation of different nanoestructures with antimicrobial properties, required for the development of the final multifunctional wound healing biomaterials. This case will gather the expertise of two NANBIOSIS unit: NANBIOSIS U6 will produce and[...]
We are delighted to announce the publication of our new brochures which reflects the new equiments and capabilities incorporated to NANBIOSI U16 Surface Characterization and Calorimetry Unit. The equipment is available has been incorporated to the Unit thanks to European Regional Development Fund (FEDER) allocated by the Goberment of Spain for the development of ICTSs, specifically through the Project FICTS-1420-14-09. TOFSIMS_EN-1Download Profilometry_ENDownload Goniometer_ENDownload Further information: NANBIOSIS News[...]
In search of antimicrobials from natural bee products to coat implantable biomaterials, avoiding resistance.
The Microbial Adhesion research group-NANBIOSIS ICTS U16 Surface Characterization and Calorimetry Unit of the University of Extremadura (AM-UEX)-, belonging to the CIBER-BBN, led by Maria Luisa González, is searching in natural products, specifically in propolis, compounds with antimicrobial activity to help fight infections associated with biomaterials.Medical devices have greatly improved healthcare. But biofilm-associated infections related to the use of these devices are a major clinical concern. Biofilms are understood as bacterial communities that adhere to the surface of the devices and are embedded in a polymeric matrix that they themselves produce. This supracellular social organization arises as a survival strategy[...]
Today February 11 is the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, a day to raise awareness of the gender gap in science and technology. According to the United Nations, while yet women and girls continue to be excluded from participating fully in science, science and gender equality are vital to achieve the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Thus, in recent years, the international community has made a great effort to inspire and promote the participation of women and girls in science. NANBIOSIS wants to acknowledge the efforts made by scientific women who struggle every day to contribut[...]
Chemical composition of explanted deteriorated nephrostomy polyurethane-catheters through X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
Researchers of Nanbiosis U16 Surface Characterization and Calorimetry Unit of CIBER-BBN and University of Extremadura in Badajoz, are the authors of an article published by Materials Chemistry and Physics, The researchers studied the surface chemical information of thirteen used catheters that had remained in patients for two months, using the XPS technique with the purpose of this communication is to report.Compositional changes in relation to unused catheters provided information on the degree of the chemical degradation suffered. ATR-IR added information on the chemical characterization of the samplesand Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) analysis will advise on topographical changes. The XPS techniqu[...]